Welcome to the online Nursing Journal Club! The article this month will count for 1 continuing education credit and will be available through May 31.
How to compile a professional portfolio of practice 2: structure and building evidence
Nurs Times. 2010 Oct 26-Nov 1;106(42):14-7.
Portfolios are a valuable tool that allow nurses to demonstrate their learning and professional development that has occurred over a period of time. This second in a two part unit on developing a professional portfolio explores in more depth what is meant by quality evidence and how to develop it meaningfully.
Available on the Marianjoy network full-text
The nursing professional portfolio: a pathway to career development.
J Nurses Staff Dev. 2007 May-Jun;23(3):125-31.
Williams M, Jordan K.
Nursing professional portfolios have moved beyond the traditional listing of past experiences and accomplishments. They now provide a format for self-reflection on practice and for goal planning, capturing both the art and the science of nursing. This article describes the experiences of designing and implementing the use of a comprehensive professional portfolio and the benefits realized by individual staff nurses and their managers.
The purpose of the online Nursing Journal Club is to facilitate the use of evidence-based practice in providing excellent nursing care.
- Identify at least two benefits to a nurse of developing a professional portfolio
- Identify at least two components of a professional portfolio
- Identify at least two benefits to the organization of nurses utilizing professional portfolios
Contact Person: Cindy Bright, E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 630.909.8027
Provide your e-mail address
- you may use either your personal or Marianjoy e-mail address
- Article will be e-mailed to you
- Google Docs/Drive will be used for discussion
For further information or any questions, please contact Cindy Bright
SIGN-UP by April 31 to receive article by May 1.
Available Credits: 1Contact Hour
Instructions for receiving the credits:
There are 3 parts to earning CE credit for this article. All components must be completed between between May 1 and May 30, 2013
- After reading the article, there is a short post-test on the Learning Link. To get to the module, open and login to Learning Link, click View course catalog, select All courses, and then enter PRCH4010 to find the April journal module. You must complete the post-test on or before May 31 and score at least 80% correct to earn CE credit.
- An evaluation of this learning opportunity is required to obtain the CE credit. A link to the evaluation will be found at the end of the post-test.
- As part of the requirements to earn the CE credit, you must participate in a discussion about the articles. This discussion will take place via Google Docs/Drive. A Nursing Journal Club designee will generate the discussion on May 9. You must respond / participate in the discussion at least 1 time by May 27 to be compliant.
Instructions to access the Google Docs/Drive Web page for Discussion and to post comments:
It should take you approximately 1 hour to read the articles, take the quiz and complete the evaluation.
As a member of the Nursing Journal Club, you will automatically receive subsequent articles on the first of each month. If you would like to cancel your membership at any time, please contact Cindy Bright via e-mail or contact her at 630.909.8027. We will send out a flyer announcing the next article approximately 2 weeks prior to sending it out.
We are excited that you are interested in this new opportunity. We welcome any comments or suggestions you may have.
Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital- Professional Practice Committee, (OH-387, 9/28/2013) is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Ohio Nurses Association (OBN-001-91), an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
As required by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Accreditation Program, we would like to make you aware of all potential conflicts of interest(s). This educational activity’s planners and presenters have indicated that they have no bias or conflict of interest. Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital has not received any commercial support for this program. There will not be any endorsement of products or discussion of off-lable use.
The Marianjoy Online Nursing Journal Club is a joint effort between the Nursing Department, the Medical Library, and the Research Department