Welcome to the online Nursing Journal Club! The article for this month will count for 1.0 continuing education credits. This article will be available through February 29.
Discussion Via Google Docs/Drive
Article # 1
Surviving sepsis: You make the difference
Kern, Angela K
Med-Surg Matters, Nov/Dec2010; 19(6): 1-11. (5p)
Available Full-Text only from the Marianjoy network or from library staff
Medical-surgical nurses need to be aware of the early signs and symptoms of sepsis and be prepared to start early goal-directed therapy before the patient is transferred to a critical care unit. The initial, life-saving treatments for sepsis do not require special skills or equipment and can help reduce patient mortality.
The purpose of the online Nursing Journal Club is to facilitate the use of evidence-based practice in providing excellent nursing care.
- Identify at least two symptoms of sepsis
- Identify at least two interventions to be performed within 1 hour of sepsis identification
Contact Person: Cindy Bright, E-mail email@example.com Phone: 630.909.8027
Provide your e-mail address
- you may use either your personal or Marianjoy e-mail address
- Article will be e-mailed to you
- Google Docs/Drive will be used for discussion
For further information or any questions, please contact Cindy Bright
Available Credits: 1.0 Contact Hour
Instructions for receiving the credits:
There are 3 parts to earning CE credit for these articles. All components must be completed between February 1 and February 29, 2016:
- After reading the articles, there is a short post-test on the Learning Link. To find the Learning Link module, open and login to Learning Link, click View course catalog, enter
PRCH4040in the Search For box, leave the default category as All courses and then click the Search button to find the February 2016 journal club module. You must complete the post-test on or before February 29 and score at least 80% correct to earn CE credit.
- An evaluation of this learning opportunity is required to obtain CE credit. A link to the Survey Monkey evaluation will be found at the end of the post-test in Learning Link. It should take you about one hour to read the articles, take the quiz, complete the evaluation and participate in the discussion.
- As part of the requirements to earn CE credit, you must participate in a discussion about the articles. This discussion will take place via Google Docs/Drive. A Nursing Journal Club designee will generate the discussion. You must participate in the discussion at least 1 time by February 29 to earn CE credit. The discussion is intended to clarify or provide fellow participants with further information on this topic. Suggested discussion focus:
• Your experience caring for patients diagnosed with sepsis
• How you plan to use the information provided in this article in your practice
• Respond to another participant’s comments
Don’t miss the opportunity to be entered into our quarterly raffle. For FY2016, we are changing the raffle. In order to be entered into the drawing you must “Bring a Buddy” – get a new person to participate in the Journal Club. Make sure that any new people you get to participate in the Journal Club acknowledge your invitation to them in their discussion post for that month.The winner will be notified via e-mail and the gift card will be sent to them within 2 weeks after the close of the month.
Instructions to access the Google Docs/Drive Web page for Discussion and to post comments:
It should take you approximately 1.5 hours to read the articles, take the quiz and complete the evaluation.
As a member of the Nursing Journal Club, you will automatically receive subsequent articles on the first of each month. If you would like to cancel your membership at any time, please contact Cindy Bright via e-mail or contact her at 630.909.8027. We will send out a flyer announcing the next article approximately 2 weeks prior to sending it out.
If you are having trouble accessing the article or should you have any other questions, please contact Cindy Bright: firstname.lastname@example.org or 630.909.8027. We are excited that you are interested in this opportunity. We welcome any comments or suggestions you may have. For further information, visit us at Online Nursing Journal Club.
This program will award 2 hours of CE credit. Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital- Professional Practice Committee, (OH-387, 9/28/2013) is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Ohio Nurses Association (OBN-001-91), an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
As required by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Accreditation Program, we would like to make you aware of all potential conflicts of interest(s). This educational activity’s planners and the presenter(s) have indicated they have no bias or conflict of interest. There has been no commercial support for this program.
The Marianjoy Online Nursing Journal Club is a joint effort between the Nursing Department, the Medical Library, and the Research Department